Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Jason Merril

I never knew Jason L. Merril. I was unaware when he chose to serve his country and enlisted in the army in 2002. I was unaware when he was assigned to the 1st Battalion, 26th Infantry Regiment, 2nd Brigade Combat Team, 1st Infantry Division, or when he made the rank of sergeant, or when he was deployed to Iraq. Only today did I learn of the ultimate sacrifice made by Sergeant Merrill September 3, 2006 while in the line of duty. Not until today did I learn of his mother’s sorrow and her anguish of losing a beloved son. Today my heart was made heavy when I contemplated the pain experienced by a dear friend whom I’ve had little contact with since high school, the first girl I ever kissed. I give thanks to Jason, for his willingness to serve, for the sacrifice he made, and to his mother Sue, whose sacrifice surely rivaled that of her son.

0 comments:

Post a Comment