Tuesday, April 30, 2019


Doris Mae Hartman




The blessings of service to others are not always obvious, sometimes not what we hope for or expect. Such was the case on a sunny Sunday afternoon when church let out.  I was hungry, tired of a three-hour block, eager to get home.  Then the question came, “Brother Fuller, could you drive the young men to administer the sacrament to shut-ins?” On the inside I groaned.  On the outside, I smiled and said, “Sure.” Three years later, I give thanks for that opportunity and the “tender mercy of the Lord” that it was. 

I drove the young men to several homes that day. I only remember one, the one where I met Doris Hartman.  She was elderly, 89 years old, the caregiver of her dear husband who suffered from dementia. After the sacrament, we sat and talked. I was privileged to learn about this dear sister, a devout follower of Christ, a wife, a mother of four wonderful children, grandmother and great grandmother. In the months that followed, I returned with the young men to Doris’ house  and got to know her a little better each time.

When Doris’ husband passed, she was able attend church more often.  When I would pass her in the chapel, she always greeted me with a handshake and the greeting, “Hello Brother Fuller.” She more than smiled.  She glowed.  She radiated. She warmed my soul.

My wife and I were blessed during the Christmas season when Doris presented us with a gift. We used it to enjoy an evening out together to a good restaurant. We were very appreciative. We enjoyed the meal, but the real blessing was knowing that Doris counted us as friends. We were honored!

When I visited Doris a few weeks ago in a convalescent home, she was struggling with health issues brought on by 92 years of life. It was the last time I would see her in mortality.  When I got word that she passed, it was cause for a lump in my throat and reflection.

I thank God that life’s path crossed that of Doris Hartman. The world has lost an exceptional soul.  The world’s loss is Heaven’s gain.

..

0 comments:

Post a Comment