Friday, September 4, 2020

 

Black Lives Matter



Recent events in our country have left me perplexed and uneasy. Family and friends, who I love and respect, have marched in support of the Black Lives Matter movement. Others I know and love are more aligned with, “All Lives Matter”. I’ve sorted  through my own feelings on the issue. I’ve reflected. I’ve studied. I’m convinced that news media, activists, politicians, and the general public either ignore or don’t understand the root cause of the problems facing African Americans.

Being raised in a western white community, leaves me at a disadvantage on the subject. On behalf of my five-year-old self, I apologize to the first black person I ever saw. While shopping downtown, my mother’s car wouldn’t start. When a tow truck arrived, I couldn’t take my eyes off the driver. I’d never seen anyone like him. I was mesmerized by his black skin and lighter palms of his hands. He gave me a smile, despite my inquisitive but rude staring.

Also, to put my comments in perspective, I am the proud decedent of Edward Fuller, a Mayflower pilgrim. His journey to America was driven by faith and conviction. Had he arrived on a Gold Coast slave ship, facing a life of bondage, my views on race and the country I love might be different.

George Floyd’s death by a knee on the neck is gut wrenching. Also troubling are the violent protests, arson, vandalism, looting, and murder that followed. Unspoken sympathy for these actions is bewildering. How can so many celebrate Martin Luther King Jr and his contributions to America, yet totally disrespect his peaceful approach.

My views being different from many, is cause for reflection.  Statistics show that African Americans are arrested, prosecuted, imprisoned and killed in numbers that are disproportionate to their population. The data is clear. There is no argument. What I find both puzzling and disheartening is intolerance to the simple question; Why?

The obvious answer to many is America’s history of slavery and the century of Jim Crow that followed. They believe the aftermath continues today, with “systemic racism” prevailing in every aspect of society, from our police departments to corporate America. To some, this is so obvous, only a racist would question. 

I cringe at the very thought of slavery and man’s inhumanity to man, yet I celebrate progress made. I have deep respect for the 360,000 Union soldiers who gave their lives in the cause of freedom for all.  I am grateful for civil rights pioneers of the 50’s and 60’s. I take pride in a country that can elect a president of any race. I delight in watching a good ball game, without a thought of whether players are black or white.

As the relative, and friend of a retired “cop”, a man who risked his life often for the sake of public safety, I’m disheartened when police are painted unfavorably with a broad brush because of the despicable acts of a few. I don’t understand the intolerance of many in the BLM movement to the phrases “Blue Lives matter” or “All lives matter”.

The offical BLM website advocates “creating a world free of anti-Blackness”. (ref) I want to stand on my desk and shout to the world, “ME TOO!” But when I read further, I grow uncomfortable.  When co-founders describe themselves as “trained Marxists”, I have to take a step back. (ref)

I love that the Washington Post data base on police killings is available to all and is downloadable for analysis.  Killing of unarmed individuals is rare, 55 total in 2019, 25 white, 14 black, 11 Hispanic, 4 Asian, and 1 native-American. Today’s climate puts all focus on black. Other races are ignored. (ref)

When a black president was elected, it seemed the war on racism was drawing to a close. Based on Gallup polls, he wasn’t the unifying force hoped for. Satisfaction-with-race-relations dwindled from 55% in the eight years preceding his election to 30% when he left office. (ref)

"White privilege” refers to societal benefits which white individuals enjoy over non-white. I would gladly trade white privilege for Asian privilege. (ref) This would halve the odds of being raised in a one-parent household, reduce by a third the chance of being killed by police, double the odds of being a doctor, quadruple the chance of getting into Harvard…, and on and on it goes. This is remarkable considering the historical oppression of this group, ranging from the Chinese Exclusion Act of 1885 to World War II internment. I’m convinced their success has nothing to do with nationality or skin color and everything to do with solid families and the resulting culture.  And therein lies the answer to many of our nation’s problems.

The correlation between fatherless children and illegal behavior is staggering. Eighty-five percent of youth in prison come from fatherless homes. Children without a father are four times as likely to live in poverty. Fatherless youth are twice as likely to drop out of school, twice as likely to commit suicide, and three times as likely to deal drugs. Ninety percent of the homeless come from fatherless homes. (ref)

The Moynihan Report, “The Negro Family: The Case for National Action”, penned in 1965 by sociologist and Assistant Secretary of Labor, Pat Moynihan, is both eye-opening and prophetic. Astonishingly, it predicted decades in advance, the demise of the black family. In regard to crumbling family structure, Moynihan said, “So long as this situation persists, the cycle of poverty and disadvantage will continue to repeat itself.” (ref) Those that attribute black America’s problems solely to white racism are likely to side with Moynihan’s leading critic, William Ryan, who coined the phrase, Blaming the Victim. (ref) Moynihan was an advocate of vocational training and jobs, strengthening the roll of a father, opposed to welfare, which he argued would  undermine it. Had Lyndon Johnson adapted Moynihan’s recommendations, I'm convinced the black populace would be in much better economical and social standing today. 

I admire professor Walter Williams of George Mason University. Lest one assume him to be another biased white, he is African American. "The No. 1 problem among blacks is the effects stemming from a very weak family structure…..  Children from fatherless homes are likelier to drop out of high school, die by suicide, have behavioral disorders, join gangs, commit crimes, and end up in prison. They are also likelier to live in poverty-stricken households.” (ref)

Out-of-wedlock-birth rates among African Americans increased from 18% in 1960 to 75% seven decades later. Statistics for other races increased too, but the black rate is nearly double the national average. (ref)  When former NAACP president Kweisi Mfume was asked if white racism or the absence of fathers posed a greater threat to black Americans, he replied without hesitation, “The absence of black fathers.” (ref) Did slavery contribute to today’s weak family structure?  I think so. Has the welfare system contributed to the demise of the black family? Very likely. Will the problems confronting many African Americans be resolved without strengthening the family unit? The answer is no. Why isn’t this part of today’s conversation?

Youth that grow up without a strong family will forever be at a disadvantage.  No politician, no act of congress, no social program, will ever substitute for loving parents. No amount of welfare, affirmative action or reparation will ever provide the affection, the discipline, nor the urging required to get teenagers to do their homework, chose good friends, be moral, work hard and succeed in life. Regardless of race - white, Black, Hispanic, Asian, or Native-American - the family is critical to society. When the family fails, society fails.

Children need their dads. Should I ever march in the streets, I’ll hold my banner high, “All Fathers Matter”.

 

1 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow! Powerfully said!

Post a Comment